Who is the Senior Class?

For this week’s senior spotlight we focused on Jacob Escobedo, also known as Bedo. 

The Smoke Signal introduces an insight of what these students endured throughout their four years of high school, providing an understanding about who the senior class of 2023 truly is.

Senior Focus – Who is the Senior Class?

Entering into the new school year of 2022-2023, Lompoc High School additionally also welcomes our new class of Brave seniors. The Smoke Signal introduces an insight of what these students endured throughout their four years of high school, providing an understanding about who the senior class of 2023 truly is. 

Jacob Escobedo 

Bedo has been involved in Lompoc High’s baseball and football team throughout his four years of high school. Bedo explains that he had to endure a lot of self development, physically and mentally in order to “bounce back.” Bedo also stated, “I feel like a lot of people underestimate how hard I work.” Bedo exclaims that balancing school work while being an athlete is possible as long as you put your mind to it, put in the effort, and don’t overthink it.

When asked what Jacob Escobedo’s greatest motivation is, he describes that his motivation comes from within his own personal self. Bedo shared with us his best moments captured from his sports such as batting 456 in league last year and making second team all league without playing defense. As of this year in Jacob’s football career playing the positions of right guard, center, linebacker, and defensive tackle, he states, “In football right now, I got about 30 tackles and a lot of pancakes.”

Bedo expresses his love for his teams as a family and his very own brothers. We asked what his plans were for after high school and he said, “My plans after high school are to attend Allan Hancock or SBCC for computer science and then transfer to Cal Poly for cybersecurity.” One piece of advice Bedo has to share is “Learn to have discipline.”

Last, but certainly not least, Bedo would love to give a special shoutout to Rudy Elizondo, Darek Vickery, and Marcos Maya for being his brothers throughout his entire high school experience. Being a student athlete in high school is not for the weak. However, Bedo proves that it is achievable with perseverance and grit.

Senior, Jacob Escobedo, brings light, fun, and fire to the senior class of 2023.