The Smoke Signal

The Student News Site of Lompoc High School

• September 20Welcome Back all Alumni!
  • September 20Homecoming Dance- THIS SATURDAY!

The Smoke Signal

The Smoke Signal

Make That Change

After all, these youth leaders have set a goal for the future of Lompoc, making a certain change for youth people to choose their right pathway into their future.

This summer internship hosted by UCLA, Chicano State was introduced towards many Lompoc High School, Allan Hancock enrolled students, who adventured out to create a better influence on the city of Lompoc. They strived to become leaders who would be willing to make a change not for the citizens, but also to lead youth people to fight for what should be done right in the city. They have talked with the Mayor, Jenelle Osborne, and many Lompoc school district administrators.

Students have been researching and collaborating with each other to make their main point intaking a school district meeting. One of the main ideas was to minimize the weight of capacity of marajuana in the city. They created presentations during the session, practice public speaking, practice readiness, and more preparation in partaking the course. Students who attended the course became very passionate about making a real life change in the society, to make youth people be self conscious of what’s going on around the city.

One of the mentors of the course, Linsey Rodriguez, gave a few words of her perspective. She states that, “I felt very excited and nervous about the summer course. I was eager to see what new information I would be able to get from my hometown and hoped that as a class we would be able to uncover some interesting data. On the other hand, I was nervous about the fact that high school students would not be as passionate about what some would consider a mundane topic. That was definitely not the case as the students showed overwhelming dedication and interest in the city of Lompoc.”

As you can read, Linsey was a former high school student that also went to this school, and graduated and went into as a UCLA Bruins. She has taken these students in a pathway to dedicate themselves to make that change and to realize they have a voice and opinion, especially if they’re going to that exact school. Again, thank you Linsey for leading us through this amazing experience.

After all, these youth leaders have set a goal for the future of Lompoc, making a certain change for youth people to choose their right pathway into their future. Not only can they make a change, but they can make a difference and fight for what should be right in the city of Lompoc. They continue to believe what should be done correctly in the city and fight for that goal. 

Inspirational quote: How wonderful is it that no one need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world” – Anne Frank