The Smoke Signal

The Student News Site of Lompoc High School

• September 20Welcome Back all Alumni!
  • September 20Homecoming Dance- THIS SATURDAY!

The Smoke Signal

The Smoke Signal

Can You Say: Spirit leaders!

So much school spirit and school pride, the LHS cheerleaders are a team full of positivity and teamwork. LHS cheerleaders have been a tradition for many years and each year more and more talented girls join the team. Spirit leaders require a lot of memorizing like cheers, 8 counts, and so much more.  

The LHS cheer team is a group you want to join on campus. The fun activities that come with joining are so worth the time that gets put into it. LHS cheerleaders have so much on their plate from having to go to school to then going to practice right after 6th period and learning new dance routines. These girls started practice way back in July to have everything ready for the football season. Every football season the LHS cheerleaders learn new halftime routines to perform for the games to entertain the audience. Also along with learning new fun stunts for each touchdown the football team gets!

When speaking to a JV Cheerleader, Chloe Favela, she stated,“The girls on the team are very supportive of one another and take care of each other.” This year the cheer team has more than 60 girls! With 31 girls on the JV team, 25 on Varsity, and 9 on Varsity pom. There are 4 captains for the JV team, Alexis Berry, Isabella Campos, Alice Armstrong, and Shelly Bautista. There are 5 captains on the Varsity team, Angie Venegas, Brooklynn McGinnis, Gracie Hilario, Rylee Gravitt and Sianna Thao. JV Captain Alice Armstrong then shared with me,“Ever since I started cheering my life’s been better, I learned a lot of cool and new things and met new friends.” 

These girls were so excited for football season to start and of course everyone is sad about it ending but don’t be sad for long because basketball season is coming soon!