The Smoke Signal

The Student News Site of Lompoc High School

• September 20Welcome Back all Alumni!
  • September 20Homecoming Dance- THIS SATURDAY!

The Smoke Signal

The Smoke Signal

Drama Club: They Run the Show!

Do you want to sing or act on stage? Do you want to learn the technicalities going on backstage? Or are you just looking for some fun in your free time? Well look no further and join Lompoc High School’s Drama Club! Drama Club is an extensive club offered at Lompoc High. Many students join the club from the enjoyment of starting off in drama class or just by watching the shows performed. Not all who join drama clubs are actors though, they also have a wide range of backstage workers like lights, set painters, and wardrobe. Some more roles are coming up and writing their new shows. The Drama Club is operated by Mrs. Barthel, the drama teacher here at Lompoc High. Drama club is run by the Presidents and Thespians.

By joining the drama club, students learn about different productions and learn to work as a team to accomplish new shows they are having that year. Students can have new opportunities to help them excel their career and be given excellent examples of work if they ever need job experience. Once someone is in drama, they attend meetings every/every other Friday in the little theater located in front of the office or FL-2. There, they discuss shows, paint jobs, theater management, and much more. To get more information, students can ask Mrs. Barthel or any officer to join. Basic information on the club is that it is run by very hardworking people. Crew brings the sets to life while the cast rehearse their roles for any upcoming play. 

This year brings many fun and exciting shows. Shows that have been played this year are “Alone Together” and in the fall “Plastic Things and Butterfly Wings”. “Aladdin” is also in the setlist along with their annual shows such as their Christmas shows and “Comedy Tonight!” that keeps everyone excited to spread their new ideas. 

The memories you can make in drama is what it’s all about! The positive energy spread by everyone and their peers is what really makes this club whole. “Theater brings me peace, joy and comfort. It makes all my problems go away. It’s a place where I can comfortably express myself and be with my greatest friends. Theater is like a second home I can run away to”, as said by one of the Thespian Officers. Drama students always enjoy a new presence. Now get on and go check out what theater has to offer and what it means to the students; it’s a great, worthwhile opportunity to take that can truly make you happy you joined.