The Smoke Signal

The Student News Site of Lompoc High School

• September 20Welcome Back all Alumni!
  • September 20Homecoming Dance- THIS SATURDAY!

The Smoke Signal

The Smoke Signal

They Make the Whole Place Shimmer!

+Enrique+Velazquez+and+Honesty+Stallworth+posing+for+their+first+photo+as+King+and+Queen
Len Wood
Enrique Velazquez and Honesty Stallworth posing for their first photo as King and Queen

Starting off the year with a big surprise win, for homecoming king and queen, Enrique Velazquez and Honesty Stallworth. They begin the year setting examples, in our school, to have fun, and be memorable throughout the year. 

Throughout the years of High school, Enrique is involved with boys varsity soccer and has played soccer since he was 6. He likes to enjoy music in his free time and after graduation, he plans to attend a trading school. His thoughts of making homecoming quart was unexpected, but mostly fun to be able to make  to the top five. On the night of announcing the King and Queen, he felt nervous and excited for his win that night. He has had help from Ms. Alejandra by helping around the school with posters and Ms. Venegas and Ms. McCann for helping spread his name around school, as well as his biggest supporter, his friends. His favorite memory coming from the two weeks of nomination was the big assembly, being escorted by Ms. Venegas, passing out packs of Maruchan noodles to his friends and to the crowd. The hardships he faced was not knowing what he could campaign and also, not knowing his grand entrance for the assembly. The best part that he had was all the support he got from all his amazing friends and people he really didn’t know as well. He thanks everyone for the love and support from everyone and would like to thank you for choosing him as your homecoming King his senior year. 

Throughout High school, Honesty has been in cheer for all 4 years of high school. In her free time, she loves going to the beach and after graduation, she plans on attending Santa Barbara City College, and then soon transfer to Arizona State University. Her thoughts on making the top five was extremely exciting. She couldn’t believe that she was in the top five out of 25 other candidates. According to Honesty, once you make it to court, it’s all about representing yourself. After making Queen, she loves that she could get her name known around school, and influence others as well. The football night, before announcing the winners, she felt excited to walk with her Uncle and dress up with the other top five girls. Her biggest supporters were her aunts, Grandma and cousins with all her help campaigns and created treats to pass out. She would also like to mention Alivia, Hannah, and her boyfriend Jacob, who helped pass out treats and hang up posters around school. Her best memory from the weeks of campaigning was the second assembly, being escorted by Mr. Jones, and dancing with friends from the cheer team. The hardships she faced was having to go against some of her friends in the running. Lastly, the best parts were campaigning, walking around school, talking to new friends, and people coming up to support her. She says it was so fun, meeting new people and bonding with friends.

Congratulations to our King and Queen of 2023, Enrique “Kike” Velazquez and Honesty Stallworth. You have shown so much joy and determination of getting the highlight of 2023.